I was on the internet looking for a recipe and per usual was careened into a completely different direction. An intriguing question was asked and I had to stop and read the answers. The answers were plenty but for the sake of having to cook dinner soon, I listed 10 of the responses to the provocative question:
What Do You Genuinely Not Understand?
- How the global economy runs
- Excel spreadsheets
- How language developed
- Nothing. Like the whole concept of nothing boggles my mind. What was here before our universe? Nothing. What’s in between the atoms of our bodies? Nothing. What’s for dinner? Nothing.
- Quantum mechanics
- People who inflate their cheeks when they’re underwater
- I’ve always wondered how English-speaking kids learn to read. In my native language, Finnish, each letter represents only one sound. English-speaking kids and/or teachers must have some superpowers
- Chemistry, I genuinely have no idea how atomic layers or molecule diagrams work and no explanation I have ever had has helped.
- The fourth dimension. What the actual heck. I read an r/explainlikeimfive thread but it still doesn’t help
- Traffic. You sit on the high way driving 3mph thinking “Hmm must be a wreck ahead” then you get clear of the traffic and there was never any clear reason or cause for the traffic.
I contemplated that question myself and thought, well there are a lot of things I do not genuinely understand, but they are too lengthy to list here.
What do you genuinely not understand?